Friday, March 11, 2011

Alternatives to Toilet Paper?!

I believe that I will be taking many paper books into our bomb shelter as well, Happy Yellow!

But you got me thinking. There is no way I want to use a book as toilet paper. After doing some research, I found that most countries do not even use toilet paper! Therefor, there are alternatives out there that we can use or find instead of our precious book resources!

We can use cloth, leaves (I hear banana leaves work quite nicely but since we are not near banana trees, I'm sure others will do), moss, water, corncobs (seen this method on the baby movie), and even in a pinch, your hand can work (right hand/left hand taboo). When my grandparents had an outhouse (back in the day), they used the Sears Catalog. Maybe we can stock up on those too!

I do have to say that I will be packing some toilet paper but eventually we will run out. The average American uses 54 rolls of toilet paper a year! Imagine all of the storage space that could be used for something else. Hmmm...maybe we won't pack as much toilet paper?

No comments: